With the finest tone woods available and some of the most skilled luthiers in the business, there's no question the Martin Custom Shop builds some of the most impressive acoustic guitars you are likely to find.
Ever heard of a D-30? Neither have we, but once we received this Custom Shop dreadnought, we thought this three-piece back mahogany dreadnought deserved its own model designation. "CF Martin" vertical inlay? Style-42 Snowflakes on the fingerboard? This is a stylish Custom with tone and inspiration to back it up.
What about tone woods? It doesn't get much better than a VTS Adirondack Spruce top and Belizean Sinker Mahogany back and sides. This particular Sinker Mahogany was salvaged from a riverbed in Belize, and it shows beautiful figure on the back and sides. While we're undecided on whether or not the sinking actually does anything other than preserve the wood, one thing we know for sure is that this wood set came from an old log. This Mahogany tree would've grown in natural, old-growth forest long before industrialization hit Central America.
This Custom Shop Dreadnought backs a big, bold sound. It has treble that cuts and strong bottom-end to round out the sound. Thanks to the combination of the VTS top and Sinker Mahogany, it has the nuance and character of a played-in vintage relic. We decided against an aging toner on the top, and we're glad we did because the grain on the VTS Adirondack is gorgeous. This "D-30" is a fantastic dreadnought that you can only find in Telluride.
- Body: 14-Fret Dreadnought
- Top: Adirondack Spruce VTS Premium
- Back & Sides: Sinker Mahogany
- Back Wedge: Sinker Mahogany
- Bracing: Adirondack Spruce, Scalloped, 1/4"
- Binding Material: Grained Ivoroid
- Bridge/End Pins: Black Ebony
- Bridge Material: Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly
- Adhesive: Modern Adhesive
- Fingerboard Inlay: Style-42 Snowflake w/ Select Abalone
- Spacing: 1-3/4" x 2-1/8" x 2-5/32"
- Fingerboard Material: Black Ebony
- Finish package: Floss Body w/ Satin Neck & Polished Headplate
- Headplate Inlay: CFM Block
- Neck Profile: Modified Low Oval
- Nut Material: Bone
- Rosette: Old Style-18 Boltaron
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Top Color: Clear