The Martin SC design has been described as revolutionary, but what exactly sets it apart from the iconic Martin guitars of yesteryear? Really, it's the combination of two cutting-edge elements: 1) the 13-fret cutaway offset SC body, and 2) the Sure Align neck joint. This combination introduces an entirely new instrument optimized for modern-day players, allowing for wide-open flexibility plugged-in and the lowest, easiest action imaginable on an acoustic.
The SC-13E Special goes a few steps further than the standard SC-13E. It features eye-catching Ziricote veneer on the back and sides, instead of the plainer Koa. Its appointments and inlays are a bit more refined—earth tones, brown instead of bright blue. But the biggest difference is that the Special comes with an upgraded LR Baggs Element pickup, a substantial improvement from the standard Fishman. It also has higher-quality tuners: open gear keyhole tuners with skeleton key knobs. These tuners have a different gear ratio for each string, and deliver smooth accuracy and tuning stability.
Combined with unique Tone Tension X Bracing, the asymmetrical body shape produces balanced output with clean headroom. Although it sounds fantastic unplugged, the design truly shines plugged in. Its body shape provides gain before feedback, so whether you're on stage or jamming out in your music room, crank it up, add effects, and get lost in the inspiration.
The Sure Align neck system features a Linear Dovetail neck joint, where the dovetail is essentially parallel with the strings instead of perpendicular. This eliminates the need for a neck heel, so Martin rounds off the back of the guitar where a neck heel would be. This gives you effortless access all the way to the end of the fingerboard. Combined with the new, low-profile velocity barrel-shaped neck that ergonomically accommodates your hand as you move up the neck, this system gives you the comfort and playability of an electric.
As far as future setup adjustments are concerned, the Sure Align neck system also has a built-in shim port in the neck block. This will allow future guitar techs to adjust the neck angle with ease. In 40 years, this guitar won't need an expensive neck reset to play its best!
- Body Size: Offset S 13-Fret Cutaway
- Construction: Sure Align Linear Dovetail Neck Joint
- Top: Sitka Spruce
- Bracing Pattern: Tone Tension X Brace
- Brace Shape: Treble Side Scalloped X with Non-Scalloped Tone Bars
- Brace Material: Sitka Spruce
- Brace Size: 5/16" with 1/4" Tone Bars
- Back & Sides: Hardwood with Fine Ziricote Veneer
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Nut: White Corian, 1-3/4"
- Fingerborde & Bridge: Solid Ebony
- Neck Shape: Low-Profile Velocity
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-5/32"
- Saddle: Drop-In Compensated White Tusq w/ 16" radius
- Tuning Machines: Ratio Nickel Open Gear w/ Skeleton Key buttons
- Electronics: LR Baggs Element