Inspired by the classic building techniques of the '30s, the Collings T-Series are new guitars that feel and sound like treasured vintage guitars. Collings recently announced they would offer a “Vintage Satin” ultra-thin nitrocellulose finish as a no-charge upgrade on any of the Traditional Series builds. To see them in this beautiful, non-reflective satin finish just looks right to us.
The Traditional Series (or "T-Series”) reflects Bill Collings' return to his guitar making roots, and these models offer a new tonal variation on the distinctive Collings sound. Each T-Series guitar is built using animal protein glue and a very thin, all nitrocellulose lacquer finish, making them exceptionally dynamic and responsive. Bracing and tone woods are adjusted for weight and thickness to create a voicing characterized by warm, rounded highs and a present low midrange, while retaining a quick attack and strong projection.
The OM1 T features a 14-fret Orchestra Model body. We ordered this OM1 T (serial #31727) with a Baked Sitka Spruce top and Honduran Mahogany back and sides. Baked Sitka has become one our favorite upgrades with Collings because it gives a new guitar the seasoned, broken-in richness of an old guitar. And as you put it through the paces for years and years, it'll only sound better and more refined.
From there, the only additional customization is the Sunburst Top, which looks stunning in combination with the "Vintage Satin" finish. It's perfect way to accent all of the T-Series touches. Wood purfling, wood rosette, cut-through saddle, tortoise pins, etc.—it all work perfectly with the sunburst. But whether or not you can believe, this guitar sounds better than it looks. It's another impressive guitar from an impressive builder at the top of their game.
- Body: 14-Fret Orchestra Model
- Top: Torrefied Sitka Spruce ("Baked")
- Back & Sides: Honduran Mahogany
- Construction: Traditional
- Finish: Vintage Satin w/ Sunburst Top
- Braces: Sitka Spruce
- Brace Pattern: Custom Traditional Series pre-war scalloped X-brace (no tongue brace)
- Neck: Honduran Mahogany
- Fingerboard: Ebony with Gold Mother-of-Pearl Dot Inlay
- Fingerboard Radius: 14"-26" compound
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Nut: Bone, 1-3/4"
- Neck Profile: Traditional
- Scale Length: 25-1/2"
- Bridge: Ebony belly-style with 2-5/16" spacing
- Saddle: Bone, Cut-through
- Tuners: Aged Nickel Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case by TKL