With the I-30 LC, Collings takes the concept of a double cutaway, fully-hollow, P90-equipped guitar to a higher level. While it may look familiar, the I-30 LC offers musicality and resonance like never before. By developing new techniques and technology, Collings has produced one of the most acoustically responsive and versatile electric guitars we have seen.
The lightweight, "trestle" braced body of the I-30 LC was refined through extensive R&D. It is the distillation of knowledge gleaned from Collings' popular I-35 and Statesman LC series. The trestle brace design directly couples the neck and tail block, creating exceptional strength and acoustical energy transference, while also allowing for a lightness and responsiveness that is both a tactile and musical joy to experience.
Playing the I-30 LC, you can easily feel the acoustic energy travel through the symmetric arches and re-curves of the top and back. These plates have been custom laminated and voiced for a tonality that is like an acoustic guitar in its resonance and dynamic response, yet it remains focused and feedback resistant enough to be utilized in jazz, blues, rock n' roll and many other styles. Collings' custom-designed trapeze tailpiece provides just the right amount of "give" for a relaxed string feel and effortless playability.
We ordered this Collings I-30LC (serial #20437) in Aged Iced Tea Sunburst finish with aged hardware and fittings as well. We also upgraded the pickups to ThroBak 55/56 Dogear P90s, which are a perfect match for the instrument's natural acoustic response. Plugged in, this I-30 LC delivers a wide palette of tones from— rich jazzy warmth to 1960s British Invasion style chime.
- Construction: Fully hollow w/ parallel trestle brace
- Body: Maple laminate w/ highly-figured curly Maple veneer
- Top: Maple laminate w/ highly-figured curly Maple veneer
- Finish: Aged Iced Tea Sunburst
- Neck: Honduran Mahogany
- Body Binding: Non-grained Ivoroid
- Fingerboard Binding: Non-grained Ivoroid
- Bridge: Aged Kluson ABR-1 (nickel-plated zinc w/ retains wire)
- Tailpiece: Aged Collings original trapeze
- Fingerboard: Rosewood w/ Mother-of-Pearl 5 mm dots
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Pickups: ThroBak 55/56 Dogear P90s w/ custom aged phenolic covers
- Pots/Caps: DiMarzio 500k / Jupiter Vintage Yellow
- Knobs: Aged Amber top hat
- Wiring: '50s style
- Nut: Bone, 1-11/16"
- Scale Length: 24-7/8"
- Tuners: Aged Nickel Gotoh w/ Ivoroid buttons
- Case: Deluxe hardshell from Ameritage
This Collings I-30 LC is a deeply inspiring instrument, sure to add refined class to any player's collection.