At each Anaheim NAMM show, we always throw our name into the lottery for the coolest limited edition NAMM specials from the Martin Custom Shop. This year, we got lucky, and we were able to grab one of the 50 D-42 Custom guitars Martin will build this year. It took six months to arrive, but it was well, well worth the wait.
Adorned with Style-42 Abalone appointments and gorgeous European Flamed Maple binding, the Martin D-42 Custom is a remarkably beautiful guitar that somehow sounds better than it looks. It features a Carpathian Spruce top and Wild East Indian Rosewood back and sides. With forward-shifted, scalloped X-bracing under the hood, the D-42 Custom is deeply responsive, and its powerful—yet balanced—tone seems to jump across the room.
- Top: Solid Carpathian Spruce w/ Aging Toner finish
- Top Inlay: Style-42 Abalone
- Back & Sides: Wild East Indian Rosewood
- Bracing: Forward-Shifted, Scalloped X Brace, 5/16″
- Neck Profile: Modified Low Oval with High Performance taper
- Nut: 1-3/4″ Bone
- Saddle: Compensated Bone, 2-5/32″ spacing
- Fingerboard: Solid Ebony w/ Style-45 Snowflake Inlays
- Bridge: Solid Ebony w/ Snowflake Inlays
- Tuning Machines: Open-Back Grover w/ Butterbean knobs.
One of only 50 in the Limited Edition Series, this Martin D-42 Custom is an exceptional guitar in every way. It always impresses us when a guitar this ornate can somehow sound better than it looks.