With the finest tone woods available and some of the most skilled luthiers in the business, there's no question the Martin Custom Shop builds some of the most impressive acoustic guitars you are likely to find.
This Martin Custom Shop guitar starts with a classic Orchestra Model design: 14-fret 000 body and a 25.4" scale. It features an Italian Alpine Spruce top and Guatemalan Rosewood back and sides. Dreaming up Custom Shop guitars is one of the great joys of our job. When they finally arrive months and months into the future, there's a certain magic to how each one comes together. Ultimately, a good guitar is so much more than the sum of the specs on paper. In your hands, this one-of-a-kind Custom Shop beauty opens up new worlds of expression.
The Orchestra Model always looks right with Martin Style-28 details, so we ordered this one with Herringbone top trim. But we wanted to go a little further than standard, so we specified Flamed Koa binding around the body. The Koa is a similar color to the Guatamalan Rosewood, so it almost looks like there's no binding at all. The effect is gorgeous, and something you don't often see. On the fingerboard, this OM has the simple "Foden Style" inlays—one of our favorite understated, but elegant Custom Shop details.
As for sound, this Custom Shop OM-28 has nuanced, balanced sound, and the Italian Alpine top feels open and responsive. Guatemalan Rosewood has a similar tone profile to other high-end rosewoods (think Brazilian, Madagascar, Cocobolo, etc.), but in this case, it lends character and individuality. This guitar doesn't feel or sound quite like the rest. In your hands, it fills the room with beautiful sound, and it feels like a work of art.
- Body: 14-Fret 000/Orchestra Model
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Top: Italian Alpine Spruce
- Back & Sides: Guatemalan Rosewood
- Binding Material: Highly-Flamed Koa
- Bracing: Sitka Spruce, Scalloped, 1/4"
- Bridge/End Pins: White w/ Faux Tortoise
- Bridge Material: Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly
- Adhesive: Modern Adhesive
- Fingerboard Inlay: Foden Style w/ Select Abalone
- Spacing: 1-3/4" x 2-1/8" x 2-5/32"
- Fingerboard Material: Black Ebony
- Finish Package: Gloss Body w/ Satin Neck
- Top Color: Aging Toner
- Headplate Decal: Golden Era
- Neck Profile: Modified Low Oval
- Nut Material: Bone
- Rosette: Style-28 Black Maple Fiber