With the finest tone woods available and some of the most skilled luthiers in the business, there's no question the Martin Custom Shop builds some of the most impressive acoustic guitars you are likely to find.
Koa is a hardwood that grows only in Hawaii, and it is prized for its rarity and beauty. In the instrument world, Koa lends clarity like rosewood, midrange like mahogany, and top end like maple. In 1916—in response to the rising popularity of Hawaiian music—C.F. Martin began experimenting with Koa as a tonewood. Though rare (and usually expensive), Koa Martins are special guitars with character, vibe, and nuanced tone unlike the rest.
This Custom Shop Martin starts with a 12-fret 00 body, an Italian Spruce top, and book-matched Highly Flamed Koa back and sides. The tonewoods are incredibly beautiful on their own, but since Koa is rare and special, we ordered this one a Style-41 Abalone top border, Style-45 Abalone rosette, Style-45 snowflake fingerboard inlays, and "C.F. Martin" vertical inlay on a Figured Koa headplate. Make no mistake—this 00-41 is absolutely stunning, but it has the tone to back it up. In your hands, its 00 body is comfortable and manageable, and it plays like a dream.
This Custom Shop 00-41 produces a pretty sound that is nicely-balanced across the register. It has clarity like a rosewood guitar with more midrange. Everything it does sounds rich and full, but it has a straightforward, direct character that sets it apart from other tonewoods. A natural choice for fingerpicking, this Custom Shop 00-41 sounds equally as refined with a pick. In many ways, this 12-fret guitar demonstrates the high-level workmanship, precision, and attention to detail you'll find from the Martin Custom Shop.
- Body: 12-Fret 00
- Top: Italian Alpine Spruce Premium
- Back & Sides: Highly Flamed Koa
- Bracing: Sitka Spruce, Scalloped, 1/4"
- Scale Length: 24.9"
- Top Border: Style-41 Abalone
- Rosette: Style-45 Abalone
- Binding Material: Antique White
- Bridge/End Pins: While w/ Paua inlay
- Bridge Material: Black Ebony
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly
- Fingerboard Material: Black Ebony
- Fingerboard Inlay: Style-45 Snowflake (Long) w/ Select Abalone
- Spacing: 1-3/4" x 2-1/8" x 2-5/32"
- Adhesive: Modern Adhesive
- Headstock: Slotted w/ Square Slots
- Headplate: Highly Flamed Koa
- Peghead Inlay: CFM Vertical Block (reduced size)
- Neck Profile: Modified Low Oval
- Nut Material: Bone
- Finish Package: Gloss Body w. Satin Neck and Polished Headplate
- Top Color: Aging Toner