Winning a "Best of NAMM" award in 2020, the Martin SC design has been described as revolutionary, but what exactly sets it apart from the iconic Martin guitars of yesterday? Really, it's the combination of two cutting-edge elements: 1) the 13-fret cutaway offset SC body, and 2) the Sure Align neck joint. This combination introduces an entirely new instrument optimized for modern-day players, allowing for unparalleled flexibility plugged-in and the lowest, easiest action imaginable on an acoustic.
The CS-SC-2022 is the first American-made Martin to feature the new technology, and it is a rare model built in the Custom Shop in Nazareth, PA. It starts with a VTS Torrefied Sitka Spruce top and East Indian Rosewood back and sides. It's styled out to the max with custom features, including elaborate Abalone inlays on the Peghead and Fingerboard. It has Abalone top purfling, an Abalone rosette, and European Flame Maple all around.
Combined with unique Tone Tension X Bracing, the asymmetrical body shape produces balanced output with clean headroom. Although it sounds fantastic unplugged, the design truly shines plugged in. Its body shape provides gain before feedback, so whether you're on stage or jamming out in your music room, crank it up, add effects, and get lost in the inspiration.
The Sure Align neck system features a Linear Dovetail neck joint, where the dovetail is essentially parallel with the strings instead of perpendicular. This eliminates the need for a neck heel, so Martin rounds off the back of the guitar where the neck heel would be. This gives you comfortable, effortless access all the way to the end of the fingerboard. Combined with the new, low-profile velocity barrel-shaped neck that ergonomically accommodates your hand as you move up the neck, this system gives you the comfort and playability of an electric.
As far as future setup adjustments are concerned, the Sure Align neck system also has a built-in Shim port in the neck block. This will allow future guitar techs to adjust the neck angle with ease. In 40 years, this guitar won't need an expensive neck reset to play its best!
- Body: S 13-Fret Cutaway
- Top: Sitka Spruce with VTS and Asymmetrical Partial Soundboard Recurve
- Back & Sides: East Indian Rosewood
- Construction: Sure Align Linear Dovetail Neck Joint
- Bracing Pattern: Tone Tension X-Brace
- Brace Shape: "Hand Shaped" Treble Side Scalloped X w/ Non-Scalloped Tone Bars
- Brace Material: Adirondack Spruce with VTS, 5/16"
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Nut Width: 1-3/4"
- Neck Shape: Low Profile Velocity
- Neck Material: Genuine Mahogany
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Fingerboard Inlay: Custom Abalone w/ Mother of Pearl maerks
- Fingerboard Side Dots: Abalone
- Binding: European Flamed Maple
- Bridge: Ebony Sloped Modern Belly
- Saddle: Compensated Bone Drop-In w/ 2-5/32" string spacing
- Bridge Pins: Liquid Metal w/ Abalone inlay
- Top Inlay: Abalone w/ Multi-Stripe
- Rosette: Abalone w/ Multi-Stripe
- Back Strip: D-45 Golden Era
- Tuning Machines Gold Open-Gear Waverly
- Martin Logo Style: Custom Abalone Inlay
- Electronics: Fishman Aura VT Blend
The CS-SC-2022 is a special edition for 2022, made in the Custom Shop. It is loaded with high-end custom features, but more than anything it's just impressive to see what the Custom Shop can do with the new technology.