Since it was released in 2020, we've been particularly impressed by Collings' 14-Fret 00 body. In many ways, this body size finds the perfect "sweet spot" between a small-body and a mid-size guitar. But at the same time, it brings something entirely new to the table.
We ordered this Collings 002H 14-Fret (serial #31789) with a German Spruce top, and its back and sides are East Indian Rosewood. It's a lively, bright-sounding guitar that is still not lacking in bass content and mid-range balance. It's a sweet guitar that sits comfortably on your lap. The refined tone it produces shows off the nuances and subtleties of your playing style. Its short-scale, small-body feel is a natural choice for fingerpicking, but you may be surprised how much you can dig in with a pick, too. Overall, this 002H G 14-Fret is hard not to like!
Since we knew it would be such a fantastic-sounding instrument, we had to dress it up a bit, too. We ordered this 002H G 14-Fret with Ivoroid binding on the fingerboard and peghead, and it has a stunning Exotic Stained Ebony peghead veneer that is tastefully adorned with the Collings logo. On the Ebony fingerboard, stunning 42-Style Snowflake abalone inlays provide a roadmap for the player (and of course a little bling for the audience, too).
As for playability, the only customization was to specify a 1-3/4" nut width. That extra sixteenth of an inch may not seem like much, but we find it gives you just enough extra room to stretch out. It's a great fit for a guitar like this, especially with the prewar-inspired Modified V neck profile.
- Body Size: 14-Fret 00
- Top: Germa Spruce
- Back & Sides: East Indian Rosewood
- Body Binding: Ivoroid with b/w/b/w/b purfling
- Bridge: Ebony Belly
- Saddle: Drop-In Bone, 2-3/16" string spacing
- Neck: Honduran Mahogany
- Neck Profile: Modified V
- Scale Length: 24-7/8"
- Nut: Bone, 1-3/4"
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Fingerboard Inlay: 42-Style Snowflakes
- Fingerboard Radius: 14" - 26" Compound
- Fingerboard Binding: .100" ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Peghead Binding: .100" ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Peghead Veneer: Stained Exotic Ebony with MOP Collings logo
- Tuning Machines: Nickel Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Case: Deluxe Hardshell by TKL