Named for the scenic 290 highway that winds past the Collings shop though the Texas Hill Country, the 290 is a modern-day tribute to the original working man's rock 'n roll guitar.
This Collings 290 features a solid Honduran mahogany body finished in Translucent Orange. Instead of the traditional soapbar P90s, we opted for a dogear Lollar P90 in the bridge and a Lollar Charlie Christian pickup in the neck position. While the inspiration for this pickup complement may be obvious, the two pickups work really well together—the bite and cut of the bridge P90 are nicely complemented by the warm, wooly, depth of the Charlie Christian. In the middle position, Collings' controls offer a wide range of flexibility. Too much fun.
Even though the stock 290 pickguard looks nice, we couldn't resist upgrading this one to a three-ply Parchment pickguard. The subtle off-white looks perfect against the Translucent Orange. As we've come to expect from Collings, every detail was executed perfectly. This an impressive guitar from an impressive builder at the top of their game.
- Body - Honduran mahogany
- Neck - Honduran mahogany
- Fingerboard - Rosewood w/ Ivoroid long dots (5mm non-tapered)
- Bridge - Kluson ABR-1 (Nickel-plated Zinc)
- Tailpiece - Kluson Stop Tailpiece (Nickel-platedZzinc, Steel studs)
- Bridge Pickup - Lollar P-90 Dogear
- Neck Pickup - Lollar Charlie Christian
- Pots / Caps - DiMarzio 500K / Jupiter Vintage Yellow
- Knobs - Black top hat
- Pickguard - 3-Ply Parchment
- Truss Rod Cover - White/Black/White w/ Highway 290 logo
- Nut - Bone 1-11/16"
- Scale Length - 24-7/8"
- Neck Joint - Extra long mortise & tenon
- Frets - Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer - Ebony w/ Mother of Pearl Collings logo
- Tuners - Nickel Gotoh w/ Ivoroid Buttons
- Wiring - '50s style
- Fingerboard Radius - 12"
- Finish - Translucent Orange high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
This Collings 290 includes a deluxe, form-fitting case from Ameritage.