This Collings CL (serial #201339) is a Rock n' Roll machine and an absolute stunner. Collings' finishing department is known for meticulous work, and they knocked this one out of the park! This CL features a an Acid Wash (a.k.a Charcoal Burst) top finish, which sets off the Flame Maple beautifully, but on the body and neck, its finish is Jet Black. The entire guitar was then "Aged" as was all of the hardware. Unlike relic-ing or distressed finishes, the Collings Aging process results in authentic-looking patina and subtle finish-checking. The overall effect is a guitar that looks like it was made in 1960, never played, and stored in a vault for the last 60 years. To further establish the vintage vibe, we ordered this CL with ThroBak ER Custom MXV pickups. These pickups are full-sounding, punchy, mid-dominant humbuckers with pleasing high end, and they're perhaps the best PAF reproduction available.
The guitar design of a carved Maple top on a solid mahogany body and two humbuckers is an American icon. We all know where it came from, and there's no denying a lot of brands do a great job with this template. But no one achieves the same level as Collings! Crafted from the finest tonewoods available (seasoned solid Eastern Maple and lightweight Honduran mahogany), the Collings CL is built for tone. Its all-solid-wood construction maximizes resonance, while a carefully hand-set mortise and tenon neck joint brings tonal complexity and sustain to the table in spades. This CL weighs in at 8 lbs 1.8 oz. Its natural acoustic resonance is impressive, and it definitely translates into the electric tone. With those ThroBak ER-Custom MXVs under the hood, the result is wide-open dynamics paired with singing sustain that lasts for days.
As for comfort and playability, the CL body is sleekly contoured, providing a noticeably-improved level of comfort to this archetypal design. The effect may seem somewhat subtle, but the belly cut and leg contour make a tremendous difference when the guitar is sitting in your lap. Especially if it's sitting in your lap for hours, and once you pick it up and play it, you're not going to want to put it down. Its full-feeling C-shaped neck profile will win over any playing style—it just feels so smooth all the way up. And should you want to dip into the upper register, Collings' sleek, recessed neck heel allows for easy access.
- Construction: Solid body
- Neck Joint: Extra long set mortoise & tenon
- Top: Two-Piece Premium Flamed Maple
- Body: Solid Honduran Mahogany
- Neck: Solid Honduran Mahogany
- Top Finish: Aged Acid Wash (aka Charcoal Burst)
- Neck & Body: Aged Jet Black
- Body Binding: Non-Grained Ivoroid
- Nut: Bone, 1-11/16"
- Fingerboard Binding: Non-Grained Ivoroid
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Frets: Medium 18% Nickel-Silver
- Neck Profile: C Shape
- Scale Length: 24-7/8"
- Bridge: Aged Kluson ABR-1(nickel-plated zinc w/ retaining wire)
- Tailpiece: Aged Kluson Stop Tailpiece (nickel-plated zinc, steel studs)
- Fingerboard: Rosewood w/ Double Parallelogram MOP Inlays
- Pickups: ThroBak ER Custom MXV
- Pots/Caps: DiMarzio 500K / Jupiter Vintage Yellow
- Wiring: '50s style
- Knobs: Black Top hat
- Pickup Rings: Black
- Pickup Covers: Plexiglass and Black (both sets included)
- Tuners: Aged Nickel Gotoh w/ Collings logo
- Pickguard: Black
- Truss Rod Cover: Black/Cream/Black
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case by Ameritage
Plugged in, this Collings CL packs some serious attitude. It seems to do everything well and sustain for days. If you can believe it, it sounds every bit as good as it looks. Nobody gets it done like Collings!