Some time around 1930, small-body guitars with slope shoulders hit the scene. While they were overshadowed by the louder, bolder dreadnoughts that emerged a few years later, these smaller guitars are quite revered for their manageable size and precise, focused response.
The Collings C10 celebrates the small-body slope-shoulder template, but of course it is made with the 21st-Century precision and attention to detail that set Collings apart from other modern-day builders. In many ways, it pushes the '30s designs to a new level, maximizing both sound and playability. Its lower bout measures 14-3/4", and then it has narrow waist and smaller upper bout with slope shoulders. The C10 Deluxe features Rosewood back and sides, as well as upgraded appointments like fingerboard and peghead binding.
This C10 Deluxe (#33698) sports a gorgeous Sunburst top and upgraded Rope purfling. Like an OM, the C10 Deluxe is a small-body that packs a bigger, fuller sound than you expect. The slope shoulders are a nice alternative to square shoulders, and the narrow waist and small upper bout help deliver clarity and dynamic response. Like a lot of rosewood guitars, its tone has a pretty, harmonic quality, but it is not without depth and fullness. Because for he smaller size and the comfortable rounded neck profile, the C10 is probably the easiest Collings acoustic for electric guitarists to adapt to. It feels just right, and it looks every bit as good as it sounds!
- Top: Sitka Spruce
- Back & Sides: East Indian Rosewood
- Neck: Honduran Mahogany
- Top Finish: Sunburst
- Body Binding: Ivoroid with Rope purfling
- Fingerboard Binding: .100" ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Peghead Binding: .100" ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Bridge: Ebony straight-style with 2-3/16" spacing
- Fingerboard: Ebony with Mother-of-Pearl long dots
- Fingerboard Radius: 14" - 26" compound
- Bridge Pins/End Pin: Ebony with Mother-of-Pearl dot
- Nut: Bone, 1-11/16"
- Saddle: Bone, drop-in
- Neck Profile: C-shape
- Peghead Profile: Haircut
- Neck Joint: Mortise & tenon hybrid
- Truss Rod: Fully adjustable
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer: Ebony with Mother-of-Pearl Collings logo
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly
- Backstrip: Deluxe (maple/rosewood)
- Rosette: Ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Scale Length: 25-1/2"
- Brace Material: Sitka Spruce
- Brace Pattern: Pre-war Scalloped X-brace
- Body Finish: High-gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Neck Finish: High-gloss polyester resin
- Pickguard: Tortoise
Case: Deluxe hardshell case by TKL