Some time around 1930, small-body guitars with slope shoulders were introduced. While they were overshadowed by the louder, bolder dreadnoughts that emerged a few years later, these smaller guitars are quite revered for their manageable size and precise, focused response.
The Collings C10 celebrates the small-body slope-shoulder template, but of course iit is made with the 21st-Century precision and attention to detail that set Collings apart from other modern-day builders. In many ways, it pushes the '30s designs to a new level, maximizing both sound and playability. Its lower bout measures 14-3/4", and then it has narrow waist and smaller upper bout with slope shoulders.
With a Sitka Spruce Top and Honduran Mahogany back and sides, this Collings C10 (serial #33018) packs a warm, balanced sound steeped in mahogany richness and overtones. The smaller, manageable body—paired with a rounded C shape profile—make this model an easy transition from the electric guitar. Plus, it's easy to stretch your fingers into the upper register, even without a cutaway.
Like every Collings, each detail—no matter how minute—is articulated on the highest level. The Ivoroid binding and simple purfling provide timeless elegance that is in no way ostentatious.
- Top: Sitka Spruce
- Back & Sides: Honduran Mahogany
- Neck: Honduran Mahogany
- Body Binding: Ivoroid w/ black/white/black purfling
- Bridge: Ebony straight-style w/ 2-3/16" spacing
- Fingerboard: Ebony w/ Mother-of-Pearl long dots
- Fingerboard Radius: 14"-26" Compound
- Bridge Pins/End Pin: Ebony w/ Mother-of-Pearl dot
- Nut: Bone, 1-11/16"
- Saddle: Bone, Drop-in
- Neck Profile: C-shape
- Peghead Profile: Haircut
- Neck Joint: Mortoise & Tenon Hybrid
- Truss Rod: Fully adjustable
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer: ebony w/ Mother-of-Pearl Collings Logo
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly
- Backstrip: 1-Style (Walnut)
- Rosette: Ivoroid w/ black/white purfling
- Scale Length: 25-1/2"
- Brace Material: Sitka Spruce
- Brace Pattern: Pre-war scalloped X-brace
- Body Finish: High-Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Finish: High-Gloss Polyester Resin
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Case: Deluxe Hardshell by TKL
This Collings C10 is a classy guitar all around, and it's a joy to play. It's ready for the stage or the studio, but it's also a comfortable, manageable fingerpicker for songwriting sessions on the couch.