100% Analog BBD based Flanger pedal: A Whooshless Resonant Comb Modulator
The Analoger Series AFG-1 is a 100% analog dynamic flanger with some unique differentiating features. Its lush swirls, vocal comb filter sweeps, and metallic flourishes can be controlled with the on-board LFO, or articulated by your playing dynamics with our bi-directional, multi response envelope follower. By drawing from synthesizer-style architectures and elements of beloved vintage rack effects, Hawker has designed this modulator from the ground up to go where no classic flanger has gone before.
- FREQ: Delay time, adjustable from ~0.52ms to 13.5ms. Expanded to 0.33ms - 85ms with Expression pedal, control voltages, LFO or Envelope controls.
- Feedback: lets you deepen the comb effect to explore exotic flange-like sounds or push it to drone territory. Dial in peaks and notches for airplane whoosh, resonant pipe/bell sounds, drippy chorus, or even deep vocal tones.
- Rate: LFO rate, from 0.01Hz to 8Hz (or faster with use of an Expression Pedal). Modulate your playing for even more sonic possibilities. From delicate whoosh to shimmery warbles and octave shifts, the LFO will take you to new sounds with real fractional delay modulation that can only be achieved by true analog delay.
- Amount: Control the influence of the LFO, from light tone enhancing shimmers to deep jet engine roars and mind-bending warbles! Unlike traditional flangers that use a linear additive modulation, we use an exponential bi-polar modulator for smooth volt/octave time and frequency shifts that stay musical over the entire sweep range. Our Amount also adds LFO bi-directionally to the FREQ control rather than pans between like a traditional Flanger.
- Drive: The Drive knob is a tweak of the drive circuit of our ADG-1 pedal. It provides character, rich saturation and tone shaping as the drive is increased. This generates extra harmonics to work with when combined with comb filtered flanging tones. At about 9:00 the drive is unity gain, with a transparent and flat response. As gain is increased it becomes increasingly saturated and sculpted, providing nearly 36dB of total gain with a subtle midrange emphasis.
- Envelope: The Envelope follower knob provides a means of articulated “Whooshless” dynamic flanging. This flange effect rides your dynamics and gets out of the way when not playing, eliminating the sometimes unwanted whoosh artifacts of typical flangers. The envelope can be thought of as a third hand turning the FREQ knob with your playing dynamics.
- ENV Toggle: Three position toggle that gives your Envelope control three sets of Attack / Release curves for everything from quick articulated movement to slow ambient enhancements.
- Phase Toggle: sets phase of both the feedback and mix to three options, Traditional Airplane Mode, a subtle Swill mode, and a Phase mode that produces a deep hollow or vocal tone.
- Bypass Footswitch: effect on/off. The internal switch selects between True Bypass and Buffered Bypass using a JFET buffer for a warm yet natural buffered sound.
- Expression Switch: 4 position rotary switch lets you assign CV / Expression control to Freq, Feedback, Rate, or Amount. Connect an external expression pedal (internal +5V supplied on ring) or a 0-5V CV input for even more range and control of your playing.
- True Bypass / Buffered bypass switch: Internal slide switch. Select between true bypass (takes the AFG-1 entirely out of your signal path) or a classic JFET buffered bypass to prevent noise and signal loss in your effect chain.