Named for the scenic 290 highway that winds past the Collings shop though the Texas Hill Country, the 290 is a modern-day tribute to the original working man's rock 'n roll guitar.
This Collings 290 DC (serial #23534) features a solid Honduran mahogany double-cutaway body in eye-catching Seafoam Green finish. Instead of the catalog P90 pickups, we ordered this 290 DC with a TV Jones Classic in the neck position and a TV Jones Classic + in the bridge. Based on the 1959 Gretsch Filtertron design, the TV Jones Classic falls in between a typical bright single-coil and a darker, thicker humbucker sound. Although they are hum-canceling, these pickups have a wide dynamic range—like a single coil—and there's a unique growl when you dig in. Clean, compressed treble and mids breath life over a tight and controlled low-end.
To match the full-body Seafoam Green finish and the flash of the chrome TV Jones, we ordered this 290 DC with a pearloid pickguard and white knobs. It is such a stunner! As we've come to expect from Collings, every detail is executed with a high level of precision. This 290 DC gorgeous guitar with unique character and ripping tone to back it up.
- Body - Honduran mahogany
- Neck - Honduran mahogany
- Fingerboard - Rosewood w/ Ivoroid long dots (5mm non-tapered)
- Bridge - Kluson ABR-1 (Nickel-plated Zinc)
- Tailpiece - Kluson Stop Tailpiece (Nickel-plated zinc, Steel studs)
- Bridge Pickup - TV Jones Classic +
- Neck Pickup - TV Jones Classic
- Pots / Caps - DiMarzio 500K / Jupiter Vintage Yellow
- Knobs - White Top Hat w/ Black Numbers
- Pickguard - 3-Ply Pearloid
- Truss Rod Cover - 3-ply Pearloid w/ Highway 290 logo
- Nut - Bone 1-11/16"
- Scale Length - 24-7/8"
- Neck Joint - Extra long mortise & tenon
- Frets - Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer - Ebony w/ Mother-of-Pearl Collings logo
- Tuners - Nickel Gotoh w/ Ivoroid Buttons
- Wiring - '50s style
- Fingerboard Radius - 12"
- Finish - Full Body Seafoam Green nitrocellulose lacquer
This Collings 290 DC includes a deluxe, form-fitting case from Ameritage. Thanks to its all-solid-wood construction, it packs impressive acoustic resonance and sustain, and those qualities translate beautifully into the amplified sound. The TV Jones remain clear and transparent, and their tone responds to your touch and picking attack.