Named for the scenic 290 highway that winds past the Collings shop though the Texas Hill Country, the 290 is a modern-day tribute to the original working man's rock 'n roll guitar.
This Collings 290 (serial #231780) features a solid Honduran mahogany body in Aged Oxblood finish with Aged hardware. Instead of the stock P90 pickups, we ordered this one with upgraded Lollar Gold Foil pickups, which share some characteristics with P90s but have slightly lower output. Known for their unique tonal character and open top-end harmonics, gold foils have a warm, raw, and organic tone with the ability to sing and growl (almost like a resonator). Lollar Gold Foils are a modern reproduction of the sought-after Teisco pickups, but with improvements to ensure longevity as well as reduce the feedback issues associated with vintage Gold Foils.
From there, this 290 has upgraded Ivoroid binding on the fingerboard. This subtle detail adds a nice touch of elegance. We loved the "Aged Finish & Hardware" option from Collings. It's very different from what other builders call a "relic" because the guitar isn't intentionally distressed; it's just made to look and feel old. When you first open the case, you feel like you've found a pristine Collings that has been waiting in its case for the last 60 years.
- Body - Honduran mahogany
- Neck - Honduran mahogany
- Fingerboard - Rosewood w/ Ivoroid long dots (5mm non-tapered)
- Fingerboard Binding - .060" Ivoroid (Ungrained)
- Bridge - Aged Kluson ABR-1 (Nickel-plated Zinc)
- Tailpiece - Aged Kluson Stop Tailpiece (Nickel-plated Zinc, Steel studs)
- Bridge Pickup - Lollar Gold Foil
- Neck Pickup - Lollar Gold Foil
- Pots / Caps - DiMarzio 500K / Jupiter Vintage Yellow
- Knobs - Aged Black top hat
- Pickguard - 3-Ply Black
- Truss Rod Cover - 3-ply Black w/ Highway 290 logo
- Nut - Bone 1-11/16"
- Scale Length - 24-7/8"
- Neck Joint - Extra long mortise & tenon
- Frets - Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer - Ebony w/ Mother of Pearl Collings logo
- Tuners - Aged Nickel Gotoh w/ Ivoroid Buttons
- Wiring - '50s style
- Fingerboard Radius - 12"
- Finish - Aged Oxblood high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
This Collings 290 includes a deluxe, form-fitting case from Ameritage. As we've come to expect from Collings, every detail is executed with a very high level of precision. It is highly-resonant and expressive, and it shows substantial build quality. This 290 is an impressive instrument from an impressive builder at the top of their game.