When Bill Collings launched the Waterloo line in 2014, his intention was to build guitars that look back in time to when there was a genuine need for soulful tone that could be coaxed from simple instruments. The blues, country, and folk music played on these instruments was made in heartfelt response to the hard times of the depression era. Proudly made by Collings in Austin, the Waterloo line captures the sound and vibe of yesteryear—but with modern precision and attention to detail.
Inspired by the 12-fret Stella guitars from the 1930s, the Waterloo WL-S possesses exceptional tonal clarity, dimensionality, and punch. The WL-S features a 14"-wide 12-fret body with a 24-7/8" scale length. It has a Spruce top, and under the hood, you'll find with vintage-inspired ladder bracing, which makes it a lively guitar. Solid Cherry back and sides further enhance the unique character of this guitar, providing exceptional balance and articulation.
This Waterloo WL-S (#3476) was made in 2020, and it has an adjustable truss rod and vintage-correct “Soft-V” neck profile. It produces mid-range thump and a big, balanced sound you won't expect form such a small guitar. Plus, it has some serious style: Iced tea sunburst? Semi-gloss nitrocellulose finish? Slotted headstock? Sign me up.
This 2020 WL-S is gently used. It shows some signs of use and play wear, especially south of the soundhole where a pickguard would be and around the edges of the slotted headstock (see photos). No repairs, no signs of careless handling—just an all-around beast of 12-fret. It includes its original case.
- Top: Solid Spruce
- Back & Sides: Solid Cherry
- Bracing: Vintage-inspired Ladder Bracing
- Color: Vintage Iced Tea Sunburst
- Binding: Ivoroid around Top & Soundhole
- Bridge: Ebony Pyramid w/ 2-3/8" spacing
- Bridge Pins: Ebony
- Saddle: Bone Cutthrough
- Body Finish: Semi-Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck: Solid Mahogany w/ Slotted Heastock
- Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
- Nut: 1-3/4" Bone
- Neck Support: Adjustable Truss Rod
- Fingerboard Inlay: 6 mm acrylic dots
- Neck Profile: Vintage-correct "Soft V"
- Scale: 24-7/8"
- Fret wire: Medium 18% Nickel-silver
- Logo: Stenciled "Waterloo"
- Tuners: Golden Age Restoration
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"