The carved Maple top on a solid mahogany body with two humbuckers is an American icon. We all know where it came from, and there's no denying a lot of brands do a great job with this template. But no one achieves the same level as Collings! Crafted from the finest tonewoods available (seasoned solid Eastern Maple and lightweight Honduran mahogany), the Collings CL is built for tone.
The Collings CL is constructed from all solid woods, and that maximizes resonance. A carefully hand-set mortise and tenon neck joint brings tonal complexity and sustain. This Collings CL (serial #16979) was made in 2016, and it features the classic Iced Tea Sunburst finish. It weighs in at 7 lbs 14.2 oz. Its natural acoustic resonance translates nicely into the electric tone. With Lollar Imperial humbuckers under the hood, the result is wide-open dynamics paired with singing sustain that lasts for days.This CL was originally ordered without a pickguard, so if you don't want one, it's nice that there aren't holes drilled into the body.
As for comfort and playability, the CL body is sleekly contoured, providing a noticeably-improved level of comfort to the archetypal design. The effect may seem somewhat subtle, but the belly cut and leg contour make a tremendous difference when the guitar is sitting in your lap. When you let go of it, it feels balanced. Once you pick it up and play it, you're not going to want to put it down. Collings' full-feeling C-shaped neck profile will win over any playing style—it feels so smooth and full all the way down the fingerboard. Should you want to dip into the upper register, Collings' sleek, recessed neck heel allows for easy access.
- Construction: Solid body
- Neck Joint: Extra long set mortoise & tenon
- Top: Two-Piece Premium Flamed Maple
- Body: Solid Honduran Mahogany
- Neck: Solid Honduran Mahogany
- Top Finish: Iced Tea Sunburst
- Neck & Body: Vintage Brown
- Body Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Nut: Bone, 1-11/16"
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Frets: Medium 18% Nickel-Silver
- Neck Profile: C Shape
- Scale Length: 24-7/8"
- Bridge: Kluson ABR-1(nickel-plated zinc w/ retaining wire)
- Tailpiece: Kluson Stop Tailpiece (nickel-plated zinc, steel studs)
- Fingerboard: Rosewood w/ 5mm MOP Dot Inlays
- Pickups: Lollar Imperial Humbuckers
- Pots/Caps: DiMarzio 500K / Jupiter Vintage Yellow
- Wiring: '50s style
- Knobs: Amber Top hat
- Pickup Rings: Cream
- Cavity Covers: Black
- Tuners: Nickel Gotoh w/ Collings logo
- Truss Rod Cover: Black/Cream/Black
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case by Ameritage
Although it is already 7 years old, this 2016 CL shows minimal signs of play and use. In fact, the factory protective film is still on each pickup, the cavity covers, and the tailpiece. Nevertheless, there are some superficial signs of age. In particular, there are some minor lacquer breaks along the edge of the fingerboard (worst in the upper register at the 16th fret—see photos). But all around, this is about as clean as you could ask a used Collings to be! Setup is excellent—this thing smokes. An impressive guitar from an impressive builder.