There's no question Paul Reed Smith is one of the great innovators of the electric guitar. Since 1985, the Paul's company has represented the cutting edge of the industry. In 1996, PRS introduced the "Private Stock" line as a way to bring instruments that Paul envisioned to light outside the constraints of the normal manufacturing process. According to PRS, the program "represents the highest quality of materials, the most personally crafted instruments, and the greatest level of customization at PRS." Their goal with Private Stock guitars is to build "an instrument that is equally as good as an heirloom to be treasured and a tool to make music." That's a tall order, but many would argue they achieve that and yet so much more.
So how do you commemorate the 20th Anniversary of such a lofty aim? By building a guitar that is completely over the top, of course! Limited to 40 total instruments, the Private Stock 20th Anniversary LTD models were built with Eastern Flamed Maple tops hand-selected by Paul himself. A subtle variation of PRS' classic "Custom" body, the 20th Anniversary LTD has a 1/16" thinner top and 1/8” thicker back than normal, which gives it a warmer and more resonant sound. For electronics, it sports five-way switch and a three pickup configuration consisting of two narrow 408 treble and bass pickups and a Narrowfield middle pickup. The result is an extremely versatile guitar with inlays and appointments that are completely over the top in every way.
Specifications as listed on Certificate of Authenticity (included):
- Model: 20th Anniversary Private Stock
- Neck wood: Mahogany
- Fingerboard wood: Madagascar rosewood with curly maple binding
- Top wood: Curly maple
- Back wood: African ribbon mahogany
- Headstock Veneer wood: Madagascar rosewood with curly maple binding
- Neck Carve: Pattern
- Side Dots: Black
- Color / Stain: Northern Lights Smoked Burst
- Fingerboard inlays: Crushed abalone birds with mother of pearl outlines
- Headstock veneer inlays: Crushed abalone Private Stock eagle with mother of pearl outline, mother of pearl "20th Anniversary" engraved banner
- Finish type: High gloss nitro
- Pickups: Treble: 408 N Middle: Narrowfield Bass: 408 N
- Electronics: Volume, tone with 5-way bladeswitch
- Hardware: Gold/nickel PRS Gen 3 tremolo with locking saddles and phase III locking tuning pegs with anodized gold buttons
- Set-Up: D'Addario .010
- Case type: Private Stock Black Western Tolex with 20th Anniversary Logo
- Specials: Northern Lights Smoked Burst high gloss nitro finish, crushed abalone bird inlays with mother of pearl outlines, mother of pearl "20th Anniversary" engraved banner, curly maple binding along the fingerboard and headstock veneer as well as a 24.6" scale length.
This 2015 Paul Reed Smith 20th Anniversary Limited is Private stock #6025. It is in excellent condition with minimal signs of play and use. The previous owner upgraded the pots to allow for push/pull coil-tapping of the neck and bridge pickups. The original pots as well as original case, case candy, and framed Certificate of Authenticity are all included. This over-the-top guitar is an example of the pinnacle of PRS' designs and innovations. It is the perfect blend of versatile utility instrument and stunning show piece. If you could build a guitar of this caliber, why bother building anything else?