Of all the incredible Collings models we saw at NAMM 2020, we were particularly impressed by the new 14-Fret 00. In so many ways, this body size finds the perfect "sweet spot" between a small-body and a mid-size guitar, but at the same time, it brings something entirely new to the table. Since then, we've done everything we can to keep one in stock, but that's turned out to be a tall order!
This Collings 003 14-Fret (serial #30602) may be the only one that exists in the wild—delivered to us before Collings even has the model listed on their website. It is a lively, punchy little guitar. Its tone is bright and clear, but not lacking in bass content. Whether you play it fingerstyle or with a pick, its tone feels balanced for its size. And speaking of size, this little guitar is so comfortable on your lap. Plus, the short 24-7/8" scale opens up bending and vibrato up and down the fingerboard.
Thanks to Collings 3-Style appointments, this 003 14-Fret looks as good as it sounds, too. An Abalone Rosette, Chevron backstop, Fingerboard & Peghead Binding, and Gold Tuners provide high-end aesthetic details. This one was ordered with a custom 1-3/4" nut width and no fingerboard inlays.
- Body Size: 14-Fret 00
- Top: Sitka Spruce
- Rosette: Abalone
- Back & Sides: East Indian Rosewood
- Backstrip: 3-Style (Chevron)
- Body Binding: Ivoroid with b/w/b/w/b purfling
- Bridge: Ebony Belly
- Saddle: Drop-In Bone, 2-3/16" string spacing
- Neck: Honduran Mahogany
- Neck Profile: Modified V
- Scale Length: 24-7/8"
- Nut: Bone, 1-3/4"
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Fingerboard Inlay: None
- Fingerboard Radius: 14" - 26" Compound
- Fingerboard Binding: .100" ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Peghead Binding: .100" ivoroid with b/w purfling
- Peghead Veneer: Stained Exotic Ebony with MOP Collings logo
- Tuning Machines: Gold Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Case: Deluxe Hardshell by TKL
This Collings 003 14-Fret is simply a joy to play. It is one of the better small-body guitars we've had in a long time—both in terms of tone and attention to detail. This is an impressive guitar from an impressive builder.