When it comes to finding the right mandolin, it's easy to get caught up in the fancy F-Style hype. F models may be beautiful, and yes, they can provide the right cut and chop for traditional bluegrass. But an F-style might not really be the right mandolin for your playing style, and that delicate carved scroll—though beautiful—may just become an expensive strap holder.
This Collings MT Torrefied (serial #4204) certainly makes a great case for the mellower, rounder, more-balanced A-style tone. It is a responsive instrument with a powerful voice for its size, and for folk music where a little more low-end and mid-range are desired, this MT Torrefied absolutely nails it.
- Construction: A-Style with dovetail neck joint
- Top: Torrefied Sitka Spruce
- Back & Sides: Eastern Flamed Maple
- Top Finish: High-Gloss Nitrocellulose lacquer
- Body Finish: Satin Nitorcellulose lacquer
- Top Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Pickguard: Ebony Floating Collings
- Bracing: Tone Bars
- Scale Length: 13-7/8"
- Nut: 1-1/8" bone
- Fingerboard: Ebony with 5-1/2" to 11-5/8" compound radius
- Bridge: Adjustable Ebony with 1-9/16"
- Neck Profile: Rounded V
- Tailpiece: Collings original tailpiece
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case from TKL