What can we say about the Collings OM1 that hasn't already been said? All of the reviews, everything on the message boards, etc.—it all holds true. This model is known for warm tone and wide versatility.
The 14-fret Orchestra Model body first rolled out in the late '20s, and in the following decade, it was quickly overshadowed by louder—and larger—designs such as dreadnoughts and jumbos. Years later, the OM is Collings' most popular body size and for good reason, too. OMs produce rich, balanced sound with immediate response, and their comfortable size makes them more manageable on the couch and in the living room.
We ordered this OM1 (#32667) to 100% catalog specs, and it's impressive to see what Collings offers at the standard level. This OM1 is constructed of a Sitka Spruce top and Honduran Mahogany back and sides. This tried-and-true wood complement produces rich, woody tone with pretty overtones.
Because of the overall balance of sound, the OM1 is a natural choice for fingerstyle players. But because of its prewar-inspired feel and sound, flat pickers will feel at home digging into some fiddle tunes, too. In our shop, we find that lead players—especially those who spend more time on electric—gravitate towards Collings OMs. Maybe something about the quick response and dynamic range feels similar to a cranked-up tube amp. Who knows? Regardless, it just works. Great guitar.
- Body: 14-Fret Orchestra Model
- Top: Sitka Spruce
- Back & Sides: Honduran Mahogany
- Body Binding: Tortoise w/ b/w/b/w top purfling
- Bridge: Ebony belly-style with 2-3/16" spacing
- Fingerboard: Ebony with Mother-of-Pearl short dots
- Fingerboard Radius: 14" - 26" compound
- Bridge Pins/End Pin: Ebony with Mother-of-Pearl dot
- Nut: Bone, 1-11/16"
- Saddle: Bone, drop-in
- Neck Profile: Modified V
- PEghead Profile: Square
- Neck Joint: Tortoise & tenon hyrbid
- Trus Rod: Fully adjustable
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer: Ebony with Mother-of-Pearl Collings logo
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Backstrip: 1-style (Walnut)
- Rosette: b/w Purfling
- Scale Length: 25-1/2:
- Brace Material: Sitka spruce
- Brace Pattern: Pre-war scalloped X-brace
- Body Finish: High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Neck Finish: High gloss polyester resin
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Case: Deluxe hardshell case by TKL