Named for the scenic 290 highway that winds past the Collings shop though the Texas Hill Country, the 290 is a modern-day tribute to the original working man's rock 'n roll guitar.
This Collings 290 (serial #211675) features a solid Honduran mahogany body in Aged Jet Black finish. Instead of the stock pickup configuration, we opted for a Lollar P-90 Staple in the neck position to match the Lollar P-90 Soarbar in the bridge. The Staple pickup was designed after the original 1950s soapbar, and it blends the Fender-ish sound of Lollar Alnico Pole P-90s with the grit of traditional steel pole P-90s. The result is plenty of grind plus added clarity and overall punch.
Even though the stock black 290 pickguard looks nice, we couldn't resist upgrading this one to a three-ply Tortoise pickguard. It looks perfect against the Jet Black, and the Aged Finish and Hardware make this guitar look like it has been waiting in a case since '59. We also added Ivoroid fingerboard binding and Ivoroid tuner buttons to offset the dark hues.
- Body - Honduran mahogany
- Neck - Honduran mahogany
- Fingerboard - Rosewood w/ Ivoroid long dots (5mm non-tapered)
- Fingerboard Binding - .060" Ivoroid (Ungrained)
- Bridge - Aged Kluson ABR-1 (Nickel-plated Zinc)
- Tailpiece - Aged Kluson Stop Tailpiece (Nickel-platedZzinc, Steel studs)
- Bridge Pickup - Lollar P-90 Soapbar
- Neck Pickup - Lollar P-90 Staple
- Pots / Caps - DiMarzio 500K / Jupiter Vintage Yellow
- Knobs - Aged Black top hat
- Pickguard - 3-Ply Tortoise
- Truss Rod Cover - White/Black/White Tortoise w/ Highway 290 logo
- Nut - Bone 1-11/16"
- Scale Length - 24-7/8"
- Neck Joint - Extra long mortise & tenon
- Frets - Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer - Ebony w/ Mother of Pearl Collings logo
- Tuners - Aged Nickel Gotoh w/ Ivoroid Buttons
- Wiring - '50s style
- Fingerboard Radius - 12"
- Finish - Aged Jet Black high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
This Collings 290 includes a deluxe, form-fitting case from Ameritage. As we've come to expect from Collings, every detail is executed with a very high level of precision. It is highly-resonant and expressive, and it shows substantial build quality. This 290 is an impressive instrument from an impressive builder at the top of their game.