The Bell & Howell Filmosound projector was once the accessible, easy-to-use go-to choice to keep home movies on rotation. While the film side of these ancient units may now be long obsolete, don't take that speaker to the dump just yet! Yes, these B&H companion speaker units can be converted into some seriously bitchin' guitar amps.
Hand-wired just down the road in Bayfield, Colorado, this Chelli "Bark & Howl" is a 20-watt conversion of a 1950s Bell & Howell Filmosound Des. 202/285 powered speaker. Its power section is rebuilt from the original chassis and transformers, and it uses two 5881/6L6s to generate 20-watts of clean biased power. While the power amp can be used with an external music source, there's also a separate On-Board Preamp for a guitar purposes. Chelli's custom-built preamp features a three-band EQ and a Master Volume control to help you dial in the right sound. This amp packs great British crunch and character, and its original Bell & Howell Alnico 12" speaker sounds fantastic.
- Output: 20w
- Tube Complement: 2x 12ax7 2x 5881/6L6 1x 6SL7
- Speaker: Original 1950s Bell & Howell Alnico 12”
- Front panel: Original Power Switch, Original Volume Knob (controls power section)
- Interior Pre-amp: Preamp on/off, Treble, Middle, Bass, Master Volume, Volume
- Inputs: Modified rear-mounted input
- Cabinet: 1950s Bell & Howell Filmosound Des. 202/285
- Special Features:
- Conversion from Bell & Howell powered projector speaker
- Master Volume
- On-board Preamp w/ 3-band EQ
- Separate clean-biased power amp for better use with external music source.