Over the last few decades, John Mayer has left an indelible impact on the world of guitars and guitar playing. A string of pop hits catapulted him to success, but his work with the 6-string is what led him to collaborate with legends like Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, the Grateful Dead, John Scofield, and many others. But compared to many guitarists, John has so much more range, often collaborating with contemporary artists, pushing boundaries, and defying genres.
Whenever he reaches for an acoustic guitar, John is most often seen with a Martin in his hands. Over the years, John has collaborated with Martin on a number of custom designs—both releases available to the public and one-off guitars for his own use. Similar to the 000-28EC Eric Clapton, the OMJM is not a Limited Edition model, and despite high-level specs and top-notch performance, its price is a little easier to swallow than the rare limited releases (especially those encrusted with abalone).
The OMJM starts with a 14-fret Orchestra Model body with appropriate 25.4" scale length. It features an Engelmann Spruce top and East Indian Rosewood back and sides. It's a winning combination that delivers balance and articulate response. Like any proper Signature Model, there are tasteful custom features, too: Abalone Rosette, Herringbone top trim, silver "C.F. Martin & Co" decal, and unique inlays with John's signature inside at the 20th fret.
- Body Size: 14-Fret Orchestra Model/000
- Construction: Simple Dovetail Neck Joint
- Bracing: X-Brace, Scalloped
- Brace Size: 5/16" with 1/4" Tone Bars
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Top: Engelmann Spruce
- Back & Sides: East Indian Rosewood
- Nut: Bone, 1-11/16''
- Neck: Ebony
- Neck Shape: Low Profile
- Bridge: Ebony Modern Belly
- Saddle: Compensated White Tusq, 2-1/8'' Spacing
- Top Inlay Material: Bold Herringbone
- Rosette: Abalone with Multi-Stripe
- Tuning Machines: Nickel Open Gear w/ Butterbean buttons
- Headplate Logo Style: Silver Script Old Style Decal
- Electronics: Fishman Gold Plus Natural I
The OMJM is a versatile guitar, so it's the perfect tool for a guitar player and musician as versatile as John Mayer. Unlike other Signature models, it comes with a factory-installed Fishman pickup, so it's stage ready direct from Nazareth, PA. This OMJM is #7536 and it includes a custom Martin hardshell case with John's initials embroidered on the lid.